Lyft Vehicle Requirements
By: Tommy Andrews
Updated for 2021
Apart from the driver requirements, there are Lyft vehicle requirements that the potential driver must generally adhere to. Many of the states, cities and regions in the states have different vehicle requirements for the age of the car. Below are the general rules that apply in the majority of locations:
- Must have 4 (four) doors. Each door must have a handle accessible from the exterior of the vehicle. No, those halfsie doors aren’t eligible.
- Must have a minimum of 5 seat belts to a maximum of 8 (of these one seat belt is assigned to the driver)
- All signals, lights, high beams, hazards, turn signals, brakes, fog lamps, and other lights must work.
- A/C and Heat must work.
- All of your windows must roll up and down fully.
- No cracks in windshield, windows, or mirrors. (leeway on minor damage as long as it does not obstruct drivers field of vision.
- Body must be in good condition.
- Tire tread depth must fit Abraham Lincoln’s head on a penny within all parts of the tread. Tread depth less than 3/32″ is considered bald and unacceptable.
- Tailpipe and mufflers must work properly.
- Seat-belts all need to work.
- Seat Adjustments must be in working order
Subcompact vehicles NOT accepted in 2021
The following list of vehicles is not accepted by Lyft in order to provide the rider a comfortable experience:
- Chevrolet: Aveo, Aveo5, Metro, Sonic, Spark, Volt
- Daewoo: Lanos
- Ford: Fiesta
- Hyundai: Accent
- Kia: Rio, Rio 5-Door, Rio Cinco, Rio5
- Mazda: Mazda 2
- MINI: Cooper, Cooper Clubman, Cooper Countryman, Cooper Countryman Hybrid, Cooper Hardtop, Cooper S, Cooper S Clubman, Cooper S Countryman, Cooper S Countryman All4, Cooper S Countryman All4 Hybrid, Cooper S Countryman Hybrid, Cooper S Hardtop
- Pontiac: G3
- Scion: xD
Lyft’s 2021 vehicle requirements are different for each state and in some cases the cities in the state. Please use the table below to pick your nearest location to find out what your Lyft vehicle requirements are:
Note: Table temporarily unavailable while it is being updated
If you adhere to the Lyft vehicle requirements then the first thing you need to do is click here for the new Lyft Driver application. This will preload the promo code from this page and ask for some basic information to be filled out including your name, email address, major city you will be driving in and phone number. So if you live on the outskirts of the San Francisco Bay Area, say in Danville, the you would enter San Francisco for the city and not Danville.
If your vehicle does not qualify, you have lots of other options to drive for Lyft. Please read “7 Options for Drivers Who Don’t Meet Lyft’s Car Requirements“.
If you are ready to sign up to become a Lyft driver or Uber driver then please click on the appropriate buttons below to get the application process started…